Sports social media app launches with celebrity backing to rival major players
Posted by FFPundits
7:38pm Oct 25 2013
Young entrepreneurs Andy Meikle (28) and Arron Shepherd (26) launched Sportlobster – the sports social network – just six months ago, and today they celebrate the launch of the free iPhone app thanks to rapid growth and investment from sporting superstars
The site has been a hit with celebrities and sporting giants since its April 2013 launch, with former Manchester United footballer Terry Gibson and British TV Presenter Natalie Pinkham, who has recently become a Sportlobster ambassador, both using it regularly.
England football legend Michael Owen and Australian F1 racing sensation Mark Webber believe so strongly in the platform’s potential they have now become investors.
England football legend Michael Owen said:
“The app offers a way for sports fans to interact with their favourite athletes and sports teams and have their own voice heard by likeminded fans. Sportlobster is a one-stop-shop for sport and the launch of this app will allow fans to get the best out of Sportlobster while on the go.
“While other platforms may allow you to have a voice, Sportlobster offers a dedicated space to discuss real topics in sport. As a regular user I understand the value it can offer and the team is committed to delivering something truly unique to the sporting world. My investment shows belief in that commitment.”
Sportlobster’s rapid growth was complemented by a further $1 million investment by Wychwood Capital Partners in September, 2013. Founders Shepherd and Meikle are dedicated to improving user experience on the site and the decision to develop the app was identified with 65% of users currently accessing the site via smartphones and 75% of these using an Apple device.
The app has been designed using the API first programming principles, meaning it is quicker, creates less bugs and will be easier to use across various platforms. Due to the growth potential of Sportlobster, it has been built on top of Amazon Opsworks for auto-scaling. Sportlobster plans to build other native apps in the near future, with work already underway on the Android version.
Co-founder and CEO Andy Meikle said:
“The app launch marks a new chapter for Sportlobster. We’ve been delighted with our growth and the enthusiasm from the sporting world since we introduced the platform in April and we believe the app delivers a whole new way for fans to enjoy and talk about sport.”
The creation of the Sportlobster app has made it easier to interact with other fans, find upcoming events; quickly read relevant news, write meaningful blogs, predict results and have valuable opinions all in one place – and all on the go.
The app offers a more tailored approach by focusing upon each individual user’s sporting preferences. The toolbar allows fans to jump easily between these options, whether it be for a specific sport, team or athlete and the advanced global search feature allows you to find exact blogs, news, photos and events.
Co-founder and COO, Arron Shepherd, added:
“For the first time sports fans on the go can have access to their entire sporting world in one dedicated environment. A personal favourite feature is the calendar, which is now tailored to each user’s preferences meaning fans no longer miss out on conversations and information about sporting events that are important to them.”
Sportlobster is the first one-stop-shop for sports fans, bringing news, rumours, photos and videos, events scheduling, predictions and blogs into one online platform. Designed, operated and populated by sports fans, this app delivers the entire sporting world in one location, customised to each fan’s passions.
App download link – https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sportlobster/id726335461?mt=8
PR & media enquiries
If you would like to arrange interviews or require further information please contact Naomi Mills – M: 07795250420 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Designed, operated and populated by sports fans, this one-stop-shop delivers the entire sporting world in one location, tailored to each fan’s passions
– The power of social networks together with the dominance of smartphones ensures Sportlobster’s simple, colourful and functional app will revolutionise how sports fans source and share content while on the move
– Fans will never again be forced to visit several sites or download multiple apps to stay connected to their sporting world
– Staying connected on news, rumours, predictions and events with other fans on specific topics across multiple sports no longer needs to be difficult
– Sports fans are the most loyal consumers and deserve a dedicated environment to share their experiences with like-minded fans and stay connected with their sporting world
– Sporting stars and celebrities are using and endorsing the site thanks to unique features, such as the predictions and sports calendar, plus the ability to write longer articles and engage in more extensive debate than other, more limited, general networks
Andy Meikle, 28, Co-founder & CEO
– Andy graduated with a degree in Business Management after spending four years in the US on a soccer scholarship. Injury ended prospect of a professional career while playing in London
– Returning to his childhood home, Dubai, he launched the first text-based Q&A service in the Middle East
– His every lasting love of sport, coupled with years of experience in building a successful tech company resulted in a new project, Sportlobster
– Andy loves all sports, in particular football, rugby and F1. The Scot/Chilean enjoys playing golf and pays an occasional visit to the gym
Arron Shepherd, 26, Co-founder & COO
– At university, Arron’s weekend income quickly developed into building a successful event company
– A move to Dubai launched his career in sales and marketing within private property development. He sprinted up the corporate ladder and as Director of Business Development, won multimillion pound projects across the Middle East & Africa
– Reaching a ceiling and looking for a new challenge, Arron, joined forces with Andy to build Sportlobster
– Arron plays polo, is also a fan of football and rugby and is a better golfer than Andy!